I didn't really think that "House at Pooh Corner" would affect me the way it did when we finished it the other day at the breakfast table. My life is so full of many amazing things like family, teaching and living life. I remember having time to sit around doing "Nothing" when I was little. Spending a day doing something as a child seemed to take a lot longer than it does now as a "grown up".
Here is the bit from the book that hit me in the squishy part of my heart: (Austin had the clever idea of taking a picture of me reading it, choking through it with Aria on my lap. Maybe someday I'll show it to someone.)
"Then suddenly again, Christopher Robin, who was still looking at the world, with his chin in his hands, called out, "Pooh!"
"Yes?" said Pooh.
"When I'm - when -- Pooh!"
"Yes, Christopher Robin?"
"I'm not going to do Nothing any more."
"Never again?"
"Well, not so much. They don't let you."
Pooh waited for him to go on, but he was silent again.
"Yes, Christopher Robin?" said Pooh helpfully.
"Pooh, when I'm - you know - when I'm not doing Nothing, will you come up here sometimes?"
"Just Me?"
"Yes, Pooh."
"Will you be here too?"
"Yes, Pooh, I will be, really. I promise I will be, Pooh"
"That's good," said Pooh.
"Pooh, promise you won't forget about me, ever. Not even when I'm a hundred."
Pooh thought for a little.
"How old shall I be then?"
"Ninety nine."
Pooh nodded.
"I promise," he said.
Still with his eyes on the world Christopher Robin put out a hand and felt for Pooh's paw.
"Pooh," said Christopher Robin earnestly, "if I - if I'm not quite ---" he stopped and tried again -- "Pooh, whatever happens, you will understand, won't you?"
"Understand what?"
"Oh, nothing." He laughed and jumped to his feet. "Come on!"
"Where?" said Pooh.
"Anywhere," said Christopher Robin.
* * *

No comments:
Post a Comment